Wednesday, October 26, 2011

1,000 and counting ...

Ok ok ok ... I know it's been F-O-R-E-V-E-R since I posted an update. For this, I apologize profusely.

Life's been hectic to say the least the past couple of months. Hopefully, things will calm down so I can post more. I have much to say here on this blog, just need the time to write it all.

Well, back to way I'm writing today.

Yesterday, I hit a big milestone: my 1,000th mile for the year!
Looking back, I chuckle when I think about how at the beginning of the year my goal was to run 750 miles in 2011. Back in January, I thought 750 was a huge leap for me. Yet, somewhere along the way, the miles kept piling up and I just kept on going ... and going ... and going.

It was some time in May when I realized I might have sold myself short on my yearly goal. So I adjusted it to 1,000.

Little did I think I would hit that mark with over two months left on the calendar.

My goal is now to eclipse the 1,250-mile mark. Originally thought of shooting for 1,200, but with two more half marathons to run in the coming weeks (by the way, my recap of the Iron Horse Half Marathon will roll out in a day or two), I wanted to make it a little challenging.

In making these mileage goals, there's an internal dilemma that rages. I firmly believe it's necessary to have goals to have something to shoot for, you want to make it attainable but not too easy. Additionally, the goal shouldn't be so lofty you risk injury trying for it.

Granted, I'm still a novice in the running world. I've only been an avid runner for 18-plus months now. That said, my best advice is to analyze what you've already accomplished, take your highest total and set your goal by increasing it by 10-25 percent.

For example, it appears likely I will finish the year with over 1,200 miles on my running shoes, so I'm looking to make next year's goal 1,500.

But for now, I'm going to enjoy the fact of hitting the 1,000-mile mark for the year. To celebrate, I think I'll ... go for run.

Happy running!!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Welcome to the quadruple digits club. Celebrate and keep going (and worry about 2012 some other time).

    ReplyDelete