Also, in 2012, my bride started running. Yes, I know I've mentioned several times on this blog about how thrilled I am about this, but I'm very proud of her for running her first 5K and now training for a 10K. Love having my soul mate as my No. 1 running buddy.
I'm really looking forward to bigger and better things in 2013. After all, 13 is my favorite number in the world!
So without a further ado, here are my goals for the new year.
1. - Run 1,750 miles in 2013. After running 1,588 miles in 2012, I see this is a the next stepping stone for me. I averaged a little over 30.5 miles per week last year, and need to bump it up to 33.7 to hit the mark.
2. - Compile 3,000 total miles. I really took to using the spin bike in the past few months, and I want to continue it. So, to that end, I want to rack up 3,000 total miles between running and biking. With the goal of 1,750 miles running, I believe adding 1,250 miles on the is very doable. Combined it's an average of 57.7 miles per week.
3. - A sub-2-hour half marathon. Currently, my PR is 2:05:13, so I think this is very doable. I have a half marathon lined up in February - the same one I PR'ed on last year, but I am not going to train for a PR at this one. The spring season is dedicated to training for the Covenant Health Knoxville Marathon on April 7. The fall will be dedicated on breaking the 2:00 barrier.
4. - Record a 175-mile month. This was one of the few goals I didn't achieve in 2012. Last year, I posted 3 months of over 150 miles. If I continue to be blessed with good health, I firmly believe I can hit this mark. I was on the verge of breaking this barrier last year, but an injury derailed me.
5. - Keep the family workouts up. Really love exercising with my family. Nothing like sweaty and getting getting fit with the ones I love. Hoping to keep it fun to keep the kids interested. I know it's my bride's and my desire to be a good example for our kids. I don't want my kids to wait as late in life as I did before trying to live a healthy lifestyle.
6. - To keep enjoying the journey. There are lots of twists and turns in life. There are no guarantees in life either, and we have two choices regardless of what life throws at us - we can become bitter or we can become better. I choose to become better. Life is too short to be bitter. I have no idea what 2013 will bring, but every day I wake up will be a good day.
Well, there are my goals for 2013. Not quite as extensive as last year's but still very challenging, yet rewarding.
So what's on tap for you in the new year? What goals have you set for yourself?
As I close, I'll leave you with a few words of inspiration regarding goals.
"Set your goals high, and don't stop until you get there." - Bo Jackson
"No matter how many goals you have achieved, you must set your sights on a higher one." - Jessica Savitch
"People are not lazy. They have impotent goals - that is, goals that do not inspire them." - Tony RobbinsHappy running and Happy New Year!