Friday, November 29, 2013

Goal Setting: How Do You Approach Setting Goals For Yourself?

"No matter how many goals you have achieved, you must set your sights on a higher one." ~ Jessica Savitch 
It's that time of year again. As each year winds down, it's time to assess the goals you had set for the year and to begin goal-setting for the new year ahead.

In running, I firmly believe it's important to have goals set before you to help keep pushing your forward. Without goals, it is easy to become stagnant, stuck in a holding pattern and not really going anywhere. Goals are what drive us.

You will never hit the mark if you don't have anything to aim for.

Yet, knowing all this, I'm at this awkward place. It's rather odd and strange for me, and I'm not quite sure what to do about it.

I'm not sure if or what goals I want to shoot for in 2014.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not in a place where I think there's nothing more for me to achieve because there is so much more I want to do. So much.

It's just ... I'm having trouble finding a goal to inspire me. Let that fire in me. A goal that's going to require me to ... well ... quite frankly, make me work for it.

Truthfully, I'm a little bored with the yearly goal-setting. Why confine these goals to a single calendar year? Why have a never-ending list of goals? Something like a grocery list, and once you reached it, check it off the list.

Can't put my finger on why, but I'm feel I'm stuck in a rut. Perhaps because my goal-setting has become too routine, too easy, too passé. I need to shake some things up.

So, I ask you: what's your process for setting goals? What sort of things do you want to achieve?

No comments:

Post a Comment