Monday, July 7, 2014

Changing Things Up From The Original Plan


Sometimes life gets in the way of our plans. When this happens, all we can do is reassess, adjust and move forward.

No need to get bitter or upset over it for I don't see a goal denied as the end of the road. For me, a goal denied is merely a goal delayed. Just because I won't be accomplish something right now does not me I won't be able to compete the task somewhere on down the road.

All year I had been saying 2014 was the year I'd become an ultra marathoner. I even went as far as finding a race to get baptized into the ultra world: the Triple Lakes Race - a 40-miler in Greensboro, N.C., in October.

Yet, after number of changes in my life, I am having to put this dream on hold. With my new job and unsure what all it will entail and encompass, I wasn't sure I'd be able to train properly for this race. Also, the 40-miler is a trail race, and I usually can't get on the trails around here until October and November.

But have no fear, I have a race all lined up.

Instead of running a 40-miler on Oct. 25, I will be running a mere 26.2 miles at the Spinx Carolina Marathon in Greenville, S.C.

Looking forward to this race as it will be the flattest marathon I will have run to date. But given that I've only ran the Knoxville Marathon (3 times) and the 7 Bridges Marathon in Chattanooga, Tenn., it doesn't take much to earn that distinction. The Spinx Carolina Marathon only has a total ascent of approximately 380 feet according to its website.

This is marathon No. 5, and I'm shooting big at this one. After posting a 9-plus minute PR in March at Knoxville, I'm looking for a bigger jump as I take aim for a sub-4:30 - which would mean at least a 12-minute PR.

Training for Spinx begins today, and I'm looking forward to make the most of this journey.

Hopefully, I'll be able to keep you regularly updated along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this update and I will look forward to modrer of your marathon updates. I wish you all the best for your race and pray that you achieve your dreams of winning the race.

    ReplyDelete