Thursday, March 31, 2011

Milestone Will Have to Wait

Today was supposed to be a big day for me. I was going to hit a big milestone.

At least, it was going to be a big one for me anyways.

Following my run this morning, I would have eclipsed the 100-mile mark for the month.

Sadly, I've spent much of the day in bed. Sick.

After my 5-plus mile run on Tuesday, it all started.

Runny, stuffy nose. Scratching throat. Headache.

I knew immediately I had a sinus infection. Not surprised I developed this given how screwy the weather's been. In the past week, I've ran in 70-degree weather, a cool mist in 40-50 degrees, and in some snow flurries.

Springtime in Kentucky - Gotta love it!

Sitting at 93-plus miles after Tuesday's run, I was all set to 'tough' it out and run a 5K on Wednesday and a 5-miler today to back the 100-mile threshold for the first time in month in my running career. But then, I saw this tweet from Runner's World Challenge.

The tweet talked about running when sick. And after checking out the story, I made a decision: the milestone will have to wait.

The biggest factor in my decision to delay my milestone is due to the fact I'm running in the Go! St. Louis half marathon in 10 days!!! My thinking is that it's better to take a few days off to be 100 percent for the half marathon than risk getting sicker in trying to reach a milestone I know I'll be able to achieve in the coming months.

It's hard for a runner to halt training for any reason, but when illness strikes, it's sometimes best to rest.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you missed you milestone, but your body will thank you later! Get well soon and good luck on the 1/2 marathon!!! Can't wait to hear all the details. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sharon. I know it was the right decision but I still would've loved hitting the milestone. Now to focus on hitting my goal time for the half marathon. :-)

    ReplyDelete