Friday, May 13, 2011

What A Way To Celebrate

It was in May of 2010 in which I began my full-fledged life as a runner. It was this time a year ago Dave Parsons talked me into running the Nationwide Better Health Columbus Half Marathon.

Wanting to get a jump on things, I began training almost immediately so I could steadily build my mileage up to be ready to go come July when it was time to begin training in earnest for the October race. Dave kicked off his running career on May 26, 2010.

Truth be told, I had run off and on for the past five, six years. However, it was not until May of 2010 that I truly took to the sport.

So, this week when the pairings were announced for the NAIA Baseball National Championship Opening Round, I was thrilled to see Dave's and my schools be placed in the same pod. (NOTE: Dave and I are sports information directors - a SID - at a couple of small colleges.)

Had an awesome run w @MVNUSID this morning! Did 4.1 miles &am... on TwitpicNot only was I going to get to meet up with one of my best friends in the profession (and in life) but also my very first running partner.

So, in celebration of our one-year anniversaries, we went for a run.

Fortunately, I'm pretty familiar with Kingsport, Tenn., (where the baseball tournament is) so we got to run in a nice bike/running park. Not going to lie, I was pretty nervous about running with Dave as he is a fairly fast runner. I generally average around 10-minute miles on my best days, and I've talked Dave into trying to BQ this fall. Yet, I held my own.

We were lucky enough to get to run together twice. The first time out I covered 4.1 miles in 37:45 for an average pace of 9:12 per mile. And yes, that was my fastest four-mile run E-V-E-R!

This morning, I did 4.6 in 43:50 for a 9:32 per mile average. Must say I really surprised myself running sub-10-minute mile averages on back-to-back days. Never knew I had it in me. :-)

It was pretty nice getting to celebrate my one-year running anniversary with the person who helped get me hooked on the sport.

But due to the perils of a tournament, Dave's and my time together has come to an end here in Tennessee. Still, I look forward to reuniting with him and several others of my SID Running Family in Florida at out annual work convention.

Until next time, keep running.

2 comments:

  1. It was great to visit with you while we ran the past two mornings. Thanks for all the encouragement the past year and for making me believe that running was for me. Who knew? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy that you two have pushed each other to discover running...and great that you could do it together at the regional. I am looking forward to sharing some miles with you in Florida as well as the SID Running Family unites.

    ReplyDelete