Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Still Alive And Running

I love my job. I love it so much that it doesn't seem like a job.

And that's a good thing.

However, working in college athletics can be crazy. Summers are busy, but the job becomes much more laid-back and very 9-to-5. Yet, once August hits and the fall sports student-athletes report, all bets are off. The whirlwind begins and I kiss my bride and kids goodbye until May or June.

OK, it's not that crazy, but it seems that way at times. (Ask my bride and kids how much they see me during the first of November, from late-February through mid-March and in May.)

Because of this craziness, my blogging suffers and I'm unable to update here regularly. Thankfully, my running doesn't suffer. To be honest, it can't suffer since that is how I keep my sanity.
In the couple weeks of my blogsosphere absence, I've been able to maintain my training and am averaging 35-40 miles a week. Heck in the last month I've racked up 171 total miles with 7 double-digit runs. Also got to run in Gatlinburg - one of my favorite places. Love running in the beauty of the Smoky Mountains. (See photo above from my run there.)

Moreover, I've been surprising myself with my speed workouts. The goal of a sub-2 half marathon looms over my head, and while I believe I can hit that mark, some of this workouts scare the bejeebus out of me. For example, today's workout is a prime example.

Plan called for 8x800s at a pace of 8:30-8:40/mile on each. That's 4:15-4:20 per 800. Never been a speed merchant at all, but I was tickled pink to see my splits of 4:05 / 4:18 / 4:17 / 4:16 / 4:21 / 4:17 / 4:09 / 4:16.

Can we say "mission accomplished?" 

I'm eight-and-a-half weeks away from the Iron Horse Half Marathon and my first attempt of a sub-2. The workouts look to be harder and harder, but I'm more than up for the challenge. I mean, go big or go home, right?

All in all, I am really enjoying this training session. While I miss marathon training, working on my speed has been fun. Never thought I'd like pushing myself so hard, but it's fun to see what you can do when you put your mind to it.

There's a recap of what I've been up, so how's your training going? What are your goals for this fall?

Happy running!

2 comments:

  1. As a former college athlete I understand that crazy hectic schedule you lead while school is in session. I remember asking my coach and athletic trainer many times "do you ever leave"? But the good thing is if you love it, it makes it easier to handle that schedule so I am glad that you have that!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - my life in sports communications is very similar to that of an athletic trainers. It's non-stop. But it's fun because no two days are alike. Thanks for your comment and happy running!

      Delete