Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Nearing The End

The finish line is in sight, and I can't be happier.

Because I'm tired.

There I said it.

I'm tired of training. That's what my life has been since July when I began preparing for my stretch of half marathons. But all of that will be over come Sunday when I complete the Santa Hustle Smokies Half Marathon in Sevierville, Tenn.

In all honesty, I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I signed up for three half marathons within seven weeks time. I had no clue what toll it would take on my body, how I would feel after running a race and then turn around a few short weeks to run another ... and then another.

Call me naive, but I sort of thought I could treat these races like long runs and be able to bounce back a-OK.

Not exactly.

While my long runs do generally hovering around the 13.1 distance, there is just something different about race day. The adrenaline is pumping and you want to do your best. So, you do all you can to run your best race you can on that day.

And at the end of the day, you're drained. Spent. In need of some rest.

At least, that's where I found myself.

While I like to have something to shoot for in my running, I will be happy when this half marathon is over because I need a break.

Following the race, I intent to take it easy the next two weeks.

Oh, I'll still be running, but running solely for enjoyment. Not real plan to follow or goal in mind. Just go out and enjoy the run ... however long or short it might be.

But of course, the easy-going times won't last for too long. After all, I've got another race to prep for. :-)

Happy running!

No comments:

Post a Comment